Example on gps?

Hi, are there any examples using gps with the rapidM2M base starter?

Thanks,
Peter

Hi @Peter35,

Because the rapidM2M Base Starter does not have an integrated GPS receiver, there are no
examples available for this board utilizing a GPS module.

best regards,
Gregor

There are many cheap (approx. 15 - 25 €) ublox M8N GPS receivers available (used for Flight Controllers) via ebay (see https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=apm+2.8+flight+controller+gps+ublox+m8n&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=gps+apm+flight)
which are easy to use with the Base Starter board (as they are working with 3V3 also).
Just open the 4 screws of the round housing and look which colouring scheme the different wires are assigned to and cut off the original connectors. In my case I soldered the 6 wires (2 for power supply of the GPS board, 2 for GPS UART uBlox NEO-M8N and 2 for I2C compass module HMC5883):

Line GPS Module Base Starter PIN
3V3 ( red ) 3V3 <=250mA
GND ( black ) any GND
UART ( green ) UART0 RX
UART ( yellow ) UART0 TX
I2C ( orange ) I2C SCL
I2C ( white ) I2C SDA

1 Like

Hi @Peter35,

You can find two examples on how to use GPS/GNSS modules in the “Basic_Examples_Collection” on Github (See Example “80_GNSS_NMEA_0.p” and “80_GNSS_NMEA_system_0.p”). Note: The corresponding data descriptor for the examples are always contained in the * .txt file, which has the same name as the example.

Kind regards
Josef

Hi @Josef,

Thank you for the help!

Peter